Skip to main content

An Announcement about Themes, Postings, and Coffee

Hello all!


Thanks for coming back to Philosoffee. I have some quick announcements I'd like to make about upcoming posts and themes.

First of all, there is a new post on the more-or-less neglected "The Coffee Part" section. In truth, I was a little hesitant to even have a coffee review section, as I thought that some might find the attempt at doing coffee descriptions and coffee shop reviews to be snobby. However, I got to thinking about it, and concluded that I find it odd when people write off a desire to engage in things like that as "snobby" without labeling the entirety of the rest of attempts by human beings to like things as being equally snobby. While there are certainly more-or-less pretentious ways of communicating one's interests, I have come to think of dismissing some things as inherently "snobby" as being a rather incoherent objection.

So, to hell with it, there's a coffee review over here.

Next, I'd like to let everyone know that for the next six months we're going to be following something of a theme. The theme is "What is the Self?" Myself, Eick, and some other content contributors will be thinking about what selfhood is, and we'll be sharing those thoughts with one another and with all of you. Hopefully, this will be less of a "Well here's what I think..." situation and more of a mutual exploration of the topic. I certainly know that my own thoughts on the topic are ill-formed at the moment, and I look forward to some public thinking and the sort of self-reflecting and careful considering it can prompt.

Now, this does not mean that all the posts will only be about selfhood; it simply means that those that are part of the official theme will be.

On that note, the first official essay on selfhood, by Andrew Eick, will be posted this Saturday. My response, and some thoughts of my own, will follow next week, on either Wednesday or Thursday.

This weekend (on Sunday the 29th) I'll be posting the second audio recording that Commedore and I made. The topic (which has nothing to do with selfhood, by the by) is comedy and its relationship with honesty. I'll be writing a followup essay (and recording an audio version of that essay as well) to post the following weekend.

I want to take this time to say thank you again to all the people who have been reading as well as those who have been sharing the posts (and you know who you are). Our numbers have been going up with each post, and I don't see it slowing down provided that people don't catch on to the obvious fact that I've no clue what I'm doing.

So, thanks again to you all, and as always I look forward to hearing any thoughts, comments, or criticisms! If you have any, send them to contactphilosoffee@gmail.com and I'll reply as soon as I'm able.

Thanks!